I bet that only 5 out of 100 people or less know the sum of money that FIFA is giving to the participating teams for the 2014 Brazil World Cup. Here are the numbers.
Before the tournament, each of the 32 entrants will receive US$1.5 million for preparation costs. Once at the tournament, the prize money will be distributed as follows:
- US$8 million – To each team eliminated at the group stage (16 teams)
- US$9 million – To each team eliminated in the round of 16 (8 teams)
- US$14 million – To each team eliminated in the quarter-finals (4 teams)
- US$20 million – Fourth placed team
- US$22 million – Third placed team
- US$25 million – Runner up
- US$35 million – Winner
Overall, FIFA will distribute US$576 million (including payments of US$70 million to domestic clubs). It is a 37 percent increase from the amount allocated in the 2010 tournament.